Complaint / review text:
I bought my 2004 Maxima 3.5 SL (automatic) car used about 2 years ago. The car is comfortable and has a lot of torque, but what also comes with it are issues listed below:
1) Engine clanks (oil not even low).
2) Car jerks when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear.
3) Recently, car jerks twice and there's no acceleration or very very slow acceleration.
4) Recently, engine just dies and won't start until after 3 or 4 tries. The battery is about 8 months old.
5) At steady 2000 RPM give or take, it makes a whistling noise like kettle pot releasing steam pressure.
6) The sun/moon roof always get stuck and I have to force it to open.
7) About the OEM CD changer, the music starts playing on all speakers then only plays in 1 side of the speakers when braking or accelerating. I tried cleaning the CD head multiple times but it did not help.
8) Driver side door lock gets stuck once in a while. It would not unlock and have to manually open with the key.
9) Steering wheel shakes non-stop. No mechanic can figure out what causes it. I tried alignment multiple times, tried using different brand brakes and also tried different tire types.
The following are maintenance issues:
a) Hassle of changing any bulbs in the front/back;
b) Headlight and signals (requires removing front bumper);
c) Rear lights (requires pulling the inner trunk lining and with struggle yanking the whole light housing out);d) Motor oil runs low very quickly and no mechanic, including Nissan's mechanic, could figure out what the issue is.
As much as I love import cars, especially Japanese, I will not get another 6th generation Maxima or any Nissan vehicle unless I get at least a 6-month return policy so I can test out the vehicle.