Complaint / review text:
On Thursday January 15,2015 at 7:45 am, I heard a loud boom. After a delayed reaction, my 8-year-old son ran to me looking for help. I was literally in the shower. He explained that the noise came from above him. Basically the bulb exploded in my bedroom as he watched TV before school. I smelled gaseous smoke & fumes in his hair, so I immediately rinsed him in the sink. I walked into the room expecting to see shards of glass, but found burn holes in the comforter, so hot it looked as if flames spewed or a molten material, a thick section of glass fused to my shirt across the room with a char burn through the shirt, and burns/melted spots beyond the doorway to my bedroom in the carpet. The glass particles were very, very small, as if they were disintegrating from high pressure. My son's scalp was tender and it scorched his lip, he smelled singed.
It also concerns me that the fixture/globe is still intact. I sense that a hot plume erupted up and over the fixture and must have spewed outward. This is worse than the traditional light bulbs breaking, because we experienced more than typical glass debris. I would appreciate the truth of what's going on with these newer bulbs because the fixture we bought at Lowe's is designed to take only that one type of bulb.